Biltong is a fantastic dried meat snack which originates from South Africa, but is biltong healthy for you? There are many health benefits of biltong and I’m going to outline some of them in this blog. If you want to learn more, you can also check out our ultimate biltong guide.
Most people enjoy biltong and can’t help reaching for more when it comes to snacking and let’s face it we love snacking in the UK. While everything is good in moderation, biltong is one of the better snacks to enjoy. Especially when it comes to swapping it out for your favourite naughty snacks.
But when you dig into the detail, is biltong healthy for you in everyday life? Let’s explore some of the health benefits of biltong.
Hearty health benefits of biltong
- Biltong has only around 75 calories per 25-gram serving. Fewer calories than most other snacks. It’s a great alternative when you feel like something tempting to nibble on, such as potatoes crisps or chocolate. One of the most important health benefits of biltong.
- Biltong is rich in protein at around 16 grams per 25-gram serving, it’s also very low in carbohydrates at less than 1 gram. In fact, 25 grams of beef biltong can meet half your daily protein requirement.
- Perfect for gym and exercise. Being high in protein, it makes for the perfect post-workout snack.
- It stores well at room temperature and for ages, perfect for your gym bag and also for those hiking trips or bike rides and where you are out of the house for the whole day. Our Lekker Bru Biltong is vacuum packed, it’s light and locks in the freshness of the meat and won’t spoil due to the drying and spices we use.
- No artificial ingredients or preservatives. Well, not our Lekker Bru Biltong anyway. We use traditional spices with all-natural ingredients you will be familiar with like salt, pepper, vinegar, coriander and paprika. Is biltong healthy even with preservatives? Yes, but natural ingredients are always better.
- Biltong is low in fat and gluten-free, usually averaging 3%, which makes it a popular weight-reducing diet choice. One of the most overlooked health benefits of biltong. High-protein diets typically include large quantities of protein and only a small amount of carbohydrate. Most people can follow a high-protein diet by eating meat, fish, dairy products, beans and legumes, eggs, and vegetables that are relatively rich in protein, such as asparagus and spinach.
- It is high in Vitamin B12 and Iron, which is essential for healthy blood and nerve cells as well as successful cell replication. It has enough iron to make up 35% of your daily amount.
- Biltong for teething. A great alternative to a teething ring for babies well over 3 months old. This should be done with caution and never give to young babies as it could become a choking hazard. It is also beneficial during pregnancy especially to help increase iron levels. Remember to avoid moist biltong during pregnancy and stick to trusted and reliable sources. Is biltong healthy for babies? Yes, but if in doubt chat to your GP about the health benefits of biltong or check out the NHS website.
You can also use biltong in your cooking and meals. Biltong goes beautifully with fresh fruit flavours such as avocado or mango. You can add it to salads, stir it into scrambled eggs, add to a baked bread or tart with cheese for that amazing added flavour and a skinny protein boost.
If you have lots of biltong kicking around the house, rather than being tempted to scoff it down in one. A good tip is to pack it into 25-50g daily snack portions for the week. Keeping it ready to grab and go, especially handy for day trips with the kids.
Is biltong healthy when eaten every day?
Like most things biltong is best in moderation, too much of anything is typically not good for you. Biltong is high in protein and low in carbohydrates making it a popular choice for muscle building and gym-going fitness fanatics. It’s got loads of Vitamin B12, naturally low in fat and is usually gluten-free. Although most commercial spice mixes tend to have traces of gluten.
There are different health benefits of biltong from different suppliers, so check the details. Not all biltong is equal, a lot of supermarkets or mass-produced biltong include extra preservatives. We make our Lekker Bru Biltong the natural way.
In South Africa meat is a massive part of our culture, but is biltong healthy when eaten every day? It is the fat in meat that can have long term health effects on you. So if you enjoy very lean meat like game meat (like our pheasant birdtong) then it’s ok to enjoy on a regular basis, but if you enjoy fat-rich biltong then moderation is key.
Authentic Beef Biltong 100g
Our Lekker Bru Beef Biltong snack is made with Organic Devon Red Ruby Beef and a blend of spices including cloves and roasted coriander seeds. If you don’t know much about biltong and want to find out more, we’ve created THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO BILTONG.